We're Glad You're Here!
Begin your transfer journey with these steps! Completing the steps creates a path to success - and your degree.
Start by setting up an account in the portal and building your portfolio and profile. You will then be able to take advantage of this portal to plan and manage your entire academic and transfer journey.
Tell your Story
Build your portfolio using the My Story functions in your Transfer Virginia portal account. Once you do, you can easily use it to evaluate your college credits, explore career pathways, and identify resources.
Careers and Majors
Colleges and Universities
Take advantage of the resources in the Transfer Virginia portal, including Guaranteed Transfer Agreements, the Passport and Uniform Certificate of General Studies programs, and transfer guides.
Explore your Transfer Opportunities through the Resource Center by searching keywords such as Transfer Access, Agreements, Degrees, General Studies, or Passport.
Connect with Campus Resources
Your campus advising professionals, transfer and career centers, and student service offices are available for guidance.
There are many ways to connect with staff at each college:
Guidance worksheets are available for Preparing for a College Visit
or for an Advising Appointment
Pay for College
Higher education is an investment. Research your tuition, fees, and financial assistance options. What does it cost me to attend college? Use Cost Calculators available in the profile of each transfer partner to find out.
What does it cost to finish my major if I already have work done?
Log into your portal account, build your portfolio, explore programs using Programs & Courses or Transfer Tools - Where Can My Major Transfer and view the Cost To Complete.
What are the hidden costs of college?
What are the different types of loans, financial aid, and scholarships available to me?
What questions should I ask my financial aid office?
Many resources related to paying for college are available in the Resource Center.
Guidance documents and worksheets are available for you to learn about Sources of Financial Assistance, Budgeting for College, Loans, and Cutting Costs while you're enrolled in college among other financial information topics.
Decide on an Industry or Career
Narrow Down your College Choices
Virginia is home to over 60 colleges and universities. Narrow down your options by creating a list of 2-year and 4-year colleges that are right for you. Share your interest with those colleges through College Connect after logging into your Transfer Virginia Portal account. If you need to explore further, return to Explore your College Options above.
Identify & Compare Programs
Colleges offer hundreds of different majors for you to consider. Determine which 4-year programs you are interested in and identify which associate degree will best prepare you for that program. Log into your portal account to compare the program requirements at multiple colleges. If you need to explore further, return to Explore your Majors Options. Guidance worksheets are available for Comparing Academic Programs.
Determine your Transfer Date
Students who earn their associate degree prior to transferring are more successful in earning a bachelor's degree. Determine which semester you will complete your associate degree and which semester you will transfer to your 4-year school. The next step is to Create a Plan. By completing an academic plan and building a transfer timeline, you can determine your transfer date.
Create a Completion Plan
Design an academic plan that outlines your coursework, prerequisites, and degree and credit requirements to keep you on track so you will graduate on time.
A guidance document is available for building a schedule along with a worksheet designed to help you create an academic plan.
Build your Transfer Timeline
Write a semester-by-semester timeline that includes admission application deadlines, application requirements, financial aid and scholarship steps, housing decisions, and other college requirements. Guidance worksheet available for Building a Transfer Timeline. Follow a Transfer Guide for a specific 4-year program so you take the best courses at the 2-year for a smooth transfer.
Start your Application(s)
You are ready to apply. Stay on track by following your Transfer Timeline.
Complete the following from your timeline plan:
- Apply for admission.Each college and university profile provides detailed information on admission requirements and links to applications.
- Complete Guaranteed Admission requirements.
- Apply for financial aid and local or college scholarships. Many resources are available in the Resource Center by searching keywords such as Financial Aid.
- Visit a college open house or take a virtual college tour to see if it's a good fit for you in the long run. (Don't forget to try the food in the dining hall!) See scheduled transfer events here or request a visit by connecting to a college.
- Take your SAT/ACT tests on time. Check your institution's requirements in the Institutional Profile.
As you make more decisions, update your story in the Transfer Virginia portal. The resources in your account are tailored to each stage of your academic journey.
Finish what you started - your success depends on it!
- Complete your courses with as much energy as you started them.
- Watch your mailbox for acceptance letters.
- Attend admitted freshman/transfer days to learn more about the school before you commit.
- Make your final decision.
Guidance worksheets are available for making your College Decision
Pack your bags!
You did it, you have chosen a college and you are ready to transfer. Just a few more important steps.
- Commit to your 4-year college and make a deposit.
- Complete housing and food plan selections and submit deposits.
- Make plans to attend a transfer orientation/registration event at your new college.
- Take any required placement tests.
- Submit final transcripts to the college.
- Register for your first semester of classes.
- Locate the 4-year student checklist for your to-do list and guidance on what to pack.
A guidance worksheet is available for the Pack Your Bags Checklist
Congratulations - you made it!
Benefits of Creating an Account:
- Compile your academic course history in one place and keep it safe.
- Combine coursework from multiple colleges and educational providers.
- Compare transferability using course and program equivalencies.
- Share your academic course history with colleges that interest you.
- Build relationships by connecting to your college's admission and academic advisors.
What's the Difference Between Transfer Virginia and Credits2Careers?
Transfer Virginia and Credits2Careers are connected portals that support your educational journey. Your account and portfolio in one portal are available in the other. All of your data and all of the tools and planning features are available to you, regardless of which portal you access.
If you are a high school, 2-year college or even a 4-year degree student looking to use transfer as an option to achieve your degree goals, use Transfer Virginia.
If you are focused on getting or preparing for a certification or completing a certificate or an associate degree that you need, to be employed or get a better job, use Credits2Careers. However, you can use your Credits2Careers account to log into Transfer Virginia and explore transfer options for that 2-year degree you may be planning to complete.