How do I get started ?
Investing time in the portal is investing in your future
- Explore the Portal - Take a few minutes to explore the Transfer Virginia portal and learn what it has to offer. By scrolling down the main page and clicking across the menu bars, you can get a quick peek of most of the portal features.
- Follow the Steps - Transfer is a journey. The steps guide you through what you should consider and give you resources you can use.
- View Partner Profiles - All participating colleges and universities as well as future partners are listed on the Transfer Partners page. By clicking on each logo, you will find an introduction to each college and university in the portal with direct links to the institution's site.
- Use Transfer Tools - Find where your courses or your major can transfer; find programs and majors at institutions in the portal, and more...
- Find Transfer Credits - Build a list of your prior or planned course work, AP, CLEP, etc. and find credits that you can earn at the schools in the portal. [If you set up an account, you will be able to import this list into your account.]
- Create an Account - Transfer is a journey and an account lets you build and keep your information as you explore your options and even share with advisors at colleges you are considering.
How do I find out which colleges and universities are in the portal and learn something about them?
All participating colleges and universities as well as future partners are listed on the Transfer Partners page. By clicking on each logo, you will find an introduction to each college and university in the portal with direct links to the institution's site.
Do I need an account?
We strongly recommend you set up a portal account because it offers several great features beyond those available on the public site.
How do I set up an account?
Setting up an account is easy and free! Click on Log In or directly on Create an Account on the portal homepage. Create a Username of your choice and provide your name and email. Watch for an email with instructions on completing your account setup.
Once you are logged in, taking time to fill out your My Story will enhance your experience in the portal.
How do I see if my courses or prior learning will earn college credit when I transfer?
If you have not set up an account:
From the main page of the portal, click on Transfer Credits and then Add Credentials. Click Submit & Add New Item to keep adding up to 10 such items.
Once you have entered your prior or planned course work, test results, or other prior learning, you can click on Check my Credits to learn what credits your work will earn.
Remember: If you do set up an account after you build this list, you can import this list into the portfolio in your account and keep building on it.
If you have an account:
After you build a portfolio of your prior or planned course work, test results, or other prior learning, click on Check my Credits and you will see all the institutions from which you can earn credit.
Dive a little deeper by clicking on a card to see which credits were awarded.
How do I see which colleges have a particular major or program?
The portal can give you direct information on what programs are available at colleges and universities that are full partners in the portal.
Under Transfer Tools, select Seach Major or click on Programs and Courses and search for your major through a keyword search and/or limit your choices using the filter bar to the left. One option is for you to filter by Associate (2-year) and Bachelors (4-year) options.
If you are logged into an account, you can Bookmark these programs so you can quickly find them to review at any time.
You may have seen the Explore Our Majors in the profiles of our Transfer Partners. This option will connect you to the college catalogs.
How can I find classes offered at a college and information about them?
Under Transfer Tools, select Search Course Catalogs and search for your course through a key word search and/or limit your choices using the filter bar to the left. You can narrow your search using the filters to the left such as by institution, by level, or how the course is offered.
Once you find classes that interest you, you can Bookmark these courses if you have set-up and logged into your account.