Student Resources_Common Student Support Services
Student Resources_Common Student Suppo ..
Back to top

Student Resources_Common Student Support Services

Student Resources_Common Student Support Services

Read this document to learn about common student support services.

Career Services personnel offer you assistance with writing resumes, finding a job, accessing career fairs, and applying to internships or graduate school.

Counseling Services offer professional confidential counseling and referral services at little or no cost to you.

Educational Accessibility Support Services (or Disability Services) help students with disabilities obtain accommodations through confidential services. 

Financial Aid staff members provide support services for students who apply for financial aid through the government or the institution. Advisors guide students through the process of obtaining aid and answer questions about distribution and other financial aid processes.

Health Services are available via professional medical staff to offer acute illness/injury care, along with preventative and other health-related services.

International Student Support Services are available to students from outside the U.S. who attend colleges and universities in the U.S. If you’re attending college in the U.S. from another country, you will be able to access admission, transcript evaluation, registration, major and minor guidance, cultural events, and other services that will help you transition to U.S. practices.

Library Services personnel provide access to computers, copy services, books, journals, and research assistance. In addition, you will find a quiet place to study or to work in groups in a variety of areas at your library.

Residential Advisors are trained to assist you, as a residential student on campus, in a number of areas, ranging from answering simple questions about college life to facilitating programming and educational initiatives. These advisors are generally graduate and undergraduate students who are trained in leadership and communication skills. In addition, there are typically professional residence hall directors with bachelor and master degrees who help to ensure a safe living environment for you.

Title IX ensures that discrimination on the basis of sex is prohibited in educational settings. Colleges and universities that receive federal funding must adhere to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. Students enrolled in these institutions have access to Title IX staff members who assist with addressing reported sex discrimination.

Transfer Services provide advisors, transfer counselors and support staff who are available to guide you in transfer planning. This includes providing information about transfer credit, college options and majors.

Tutoring Center services are often available to students enrolled in post-secondary education. It is important to understand your academic needs so that you can identify when to ask for help. Depending on the college, tutoring may be available for foreign language, the sciences, humanities, and much more!

Writing Centers can be found at a number of colleges, since most undergraduate programs require English composition, English literature or other writing-intensive courses. 

Next Steps: Review the institutional profile to learn about your institution, then explore the campus resources available to you.

Student Support Services